Dear Members and Friends of Firwood Waterloo Rugby Club
You will no doubt have heard yesterday’s significant announcements by the Government and its advisors about suggestions to restrict our activities. Some of you will have also seen the RFU announcement about a cessation to rugby activities.
I wish to update you on our club’s response to these times which, for most of us, are unprecedented. The Board met last night to consider how we proceed as we seek to maintain our prime focus on everyone’s health and safety, whilst recognising that many of you will wish to keep some semblance of normality to their lives.
The Board agreed the following measures which recognise that the Government’s advices at this stage are advisory and not mandatory:
- All men’s First XV and women’s fixtures are delayed until 14 April 2020. This decision will be reviewed by the RFU at that point.
- All men’s Second XV and Third XV fixtures are cancelled: for those teams the season has now ended.
- All Minis’ and Juniors’ fixtures are cancelled at least until 14 April 2020, but we suspect that their season will also end.
- All squad training is suspended until at least 14 April 2020 pending further guidance from the RFU. The club gym is closed until further notice.
- The Government advice will prevent us making the trip to Dublin trip at Easter. We have contacted Wanderers to confirm this and will arrange to return all £20 deposits as soon as possible.
- Due to the uncertainty, we feel we have no option but to cancel the Marquee fortnight, including our Summer Ball but we hope to be able to transfer our deposit to book the same fortnight in 2021.
- For now, bar opening times will remain unchanged and we will keep these under review.
As you would expect, these actions may change as Government / RFU advice is updated. We will keep you fully informed of further developments and take actions for the greater good of all.
At some stage, this national emergency will come to an end and life will hopefully return to some form of normality. We can then turn our thoughts back to rugby. In the meantime, I would like to stress that we are a community and are here to help and support one another. If any member goes into self-isolation and does not have a local support system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your telephone number and we will try to help with getting any necessary supplies that you may need.
Please look after yourselves and each other. We will continue to keep you updated via emails, the website and social media.